Sunday, December 19, 2010

Needle Felting - My new love

Meet Mr. Bunny-Wunny. With the use of a felting needle, raw wool and a kitchen sponge I was able to sculpt this little guy in just a few hours. It was a LOT of fun! My sister who is the queen of felting sold me all of the supplies I needed. This is such a fun and inexpensive craft. I think I am addicted.  While sewing will always be my first love, needle felting is now way up there too. What's great about needle felting is that it is a very 'parenting of small children friendly' craft. Unlike sewing where there is quite a bit of time in setting up your workspace before you get started (oh to have my own sewing studio!). You can easily take your supplies with you from room to room, or put it down if you need to run and say prevent your preschooler from flushing your toothbrush down the toilet etc.  You could easily  needle felt in a waiting room, as a passenger in a car etc.  It's very meditative and it really is exactly like sculpting. These would make great gifts and they are 100% eco-friendly since it's only wool. You could make beautiful Christmas ornaments, woolies for children etc. the possibilities are really endless. All of the materials plus a great deal of wool in a variety of beautiful colors only cost me $30 and will likely last me a long, long time.  What makes me especially happy is that needle felting will satisfy my desire to create until I am able to spend longer periods of time at my sewing machine. What's great is even Ian could easily needle felt a ball and he's been felting along side with me, playing with the wool etc. If you'd like to buy some needle felting supplies just email my sister Annie Bananie (there are beautiful examples of things she's made there) at anniebdr@gmail.com. She ships worldwide.


1 comment:

Karie said...

And looks like you're a natural. Nice bunny!! You girls are talented.

Tell me when this blog is updated

what is this?